For the stores with huge inventories, filtering at a collection level will be one best method to help the shoppers to focus on the products, which meet their specific requirements and criteria and new multi Shopify collection filter in a theme takes one big step forward to add advanced filtering on the store. In a lot of cases, it eliminates need for the advanced apps, which add such functionality. New multi tag Shopify sidebar feature makes use of various sections. It allows you add up over five “groups” of the tags that, when the users click one, collection web page updates to just show the products that meet the criteria.
Collection filter in Shopify
When the tag is chosen, rest of tags get hidden and small “×” comes next to the filtered tag so, when clicked, shoppers will “remove” their filter.
What this is good for?
The multi tag filters actually are the best method to let the users to filter by various criteria, however, some common are:
- Price range
- Product type
- Product feature
- Product style
- Product materials
For the color based tags, the store owners have an added ability of showing the small color swatches in sidebar by using same method like creating swatches on the product pages.
What are the limitations?
- Sidebar can show tags associated with the products in collection getting viewed. Suppose tag does not exist in one of products in a collection, it will not show. It is to prevent any kind of irrelevant tags to display for the collection.
- At such time, you will have tag filter groups at the collection page sidebar. The limit can be enough for many other stores and is meant to help to prevent sidebar from getting prohibitively long.
- At such time, it is not possible applying one or more filter within a same group. It means user cannot, for instance, filter green & blue under the colors, however, they will filter by one single color and size at a same time.
- So, by default, collections need to have same multi tag collection filter sidebars.
How to use the feature best?
Even though we know a lot of store owners are quite excited about the feature, there are a few important factors that you need to take in consideration.
- You need to consider which tags will be be very useful for the customers and products that the store sells. For instance, clothing stores can find color & size to be the good picks, whereas stores selling the gift items will find the price ranges to be highly relevant.
- Remember that you do not have to include each tag and listing huge number of tags will create the list length. Due to this, you have to consider listing the popular colors and color families.